Saturday 3 April 2010

National Geographic - Photographs to Inspire

With the passing of the first April don’t be a complete fool and miss out picking up one of the best mags on the shelves for photography: National Geographic.

While the ever important to many, exposure settings for the images contained within the glossy pages are not given away, it is always full of inspiration and the March edition is no different.

The main feature on wolves is good, the images exceptional captures of wildlife taken wild. But there is far more.

It has me pulling out a world map trying to work out how I can trail bike ride from Asia to Africa and visit the tribes in Ethiopia, claimed to be Africa’s last frontier. Since they have discovered red bras time is of an essence.

Or will first be a trip to Peru and hiring a chopper with of course, no doors or a light aircraft that I can have the doors both sides open to photograph the ancient Nasca lines. I concede; it has to be a chopper and maybe the bike ride should be first.

The image of Beijing’s glass and titanium National Centre, gleaming like an out of space egg, has me wondering why I didn’t see it when in Beijing last year – what happened China Tourism and Helen Wong Tours? What an amazing structure!

The slithering Texas Coral Snakes, a double exposure, first has me examining it for digital editing before reading the caption.

The ‘Fatal Attraction’ images of carnivorous plants cannot be missed. Fabulous macro and lighting techniques combined with the use of contrast and colour for composition can be observed with all images undertaken in the on-location studios. This would have been an interesting experience to be involved in with images from many countries in the world, including my home state Queensland, Australia.

Thanks National Geographic! I have been reading you and admiring the images now for too many years that I wish to claim here publicly and they are always of a superb standard and fire my inspiration into gear. I am sure others would be the same. Don’t ever compromise – you are the best and we eagerly await April’s edition to hit the shelves!


No comments: