Monday 26 March 2012

Canon versus Nikon on Moreton Island

Guest blog by Sheryn Ellis

After a recent trip working on Moreton Island I have a lot to share.


Don’t be alarmed my Canon friends, but I found myself asking Danielle if I could use the Nikon to shoot! Danielle just smiled and said, "I’ll even let you use my favourite old girl," and handed me the D3. Why? We were in very low light, heavy cloud covered, rainforest conditions and the aim was to freeze action! I dialed in ISO 1250 and started shooting. Crystal clear action images – easy!

I hear you say ‘you can shoot that high on the Canon 5D MII’ and yes, I know I can, but I also know that in post processing I need to do more in the noise reduction slider than I want too. Besides, it’s fun to have a play with other cameras and to let Danielle think there is a chance she will turn me to the ‘other side’.

 Nikon D3; ISO 1250; f5; 1/80th
My aim with this shot was to capture the sense of ‘movement’ and that is the reason for 1/80th shutter speed. I did get in ‘trouble’ for not polarizing this shot!

Another time I reached for the Nikon was while standing on the roof of the car (yes, I’m constantly climbing on the top of vehicles) and wanting the beautiful 14mm lens that was producing some spectacular wide shots all day. 

 Nikon D3; ISO 800; f10; 1/1000th , polariser used;
It was spitting rain and as we were driving towards a flock of seagulls I thought I’d try to freeze them fleeing the path of the vehicle.I have blown up a section of this image to show how little noise there is.
 
At the end of the day, Canon still triumphed in one area at least: while ‘playing’ with our macro lens shooting some incredible star fish specimens - here’s where I am happy to say, I could get in closer with my old Sigma 105mm macro mounted on the 5DMII than the trusty Nikon 105mm on the D3. As always it is a friendly rivalry and one that will continue to provide hours of entertainment in the years ahead.

Canon 5D MII; Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro lens; ISO 400; f10; 1/100th
To say I took a hundred photos of starfish would be an understatement.

No comments: